7 Things “Dexter” Taught Me About the Future of TV http://tinyurl.com/4pmhfds
I think the seven trends Will Richmond identified through his experience with catching Dexter seasons 1 & 2 on iPad, are truly indicative. He explains each in detail, but here they are:
- The term “reruns” is obsolete – as is thinking Netflix is just for reruns;
- Data is king (real data about consumption way beyond Nielsen)
- The bar for advertisers is getting higher. More alternatives that are not advertising supported. (Again, see Netflix!)
- TV is personal and portable. Perhaps the biggest change of all along with:
- The concept of “scheduling” is upside down – count me as one of the “binge consumers”.
- Packaged media is dead.
- TV Everywhere is absolutely essential for pat-TV operator’s success, but they’ll manage to find a way to make it not work, and get beaten by, yes again, Netflix!