OK Go leave EMI, form own lable. http://bit.ly/aZ0uL1 EMI banned embedding for real viral campaign, tried fake viral. Band leaves. Profit.
Pop band OK Go are riding a wave of viral video success again with the amazing video of Here we go again but their last video flopped because their then label, EMI, refused to allow the video to be embedded in blogs or similar, defeating the mechanism that fuels viral video. EMI compounded their heavy handed error by attempting to create a fake viral campaign by having people tweet for a free song.
OK Go tried to get EMI to relent and allow the Internet to do what it does but EMI didn’t budge so today they announce they’ve left the label – OK we’ll Go it alone!
EMI, it’s been 10 years sine the Cluetrain Manifesto. EMI managed to fail spectacularly on just the first five of 85 theses:
- Markets are conversations.
- Markets consist of human beings, not demographic sectors.
- Conversations among human beings sound human. They are conducted in a human voice.
- Whether delivering information, opinions, perspectives, dissenting arguments or humorous asides, the human voice is typically open, natural, uncontrived.
- People recognize each other as such from the sound of this voice.