New addition to the HTML5 Spec – Captions http://bit.ly/cUlAvt And a “new track’ element as well.
- subtitles: Translation of the dialogue, suitable for when the sound is available but not understood (e.g. because the user does not understand the language of the media resource’s soundtrack).
- captions: Transcription of the dialogue, suitable for when the soundtrack is unavailable (e.g. because it is muted or because the user is deaf).
- descriptions: Textual descriptions of the video component of the media resource, intended for audio synthesis when the visual component is unavailable (e.g. because the user is interacting with the application without a screen while driving, or because the user is blind).
- chapters: Chapter titles, intended to be used for navigating the media resource.
- metadata: Tracks intended for use from script.
More flexibility without resorting to a proprietary player.